Monday, November 2, 2009

My husband hates soup!

So while he's away, I decided to bust out the immersion blender and try my hand at Butternut Squash Soup. I love butternut squash and I've been on a search for a healthy, no (or light dairy) soup recipe. I saw a recipe in September's Cooking Light and knew I had found something to work with. It turned out pretty nicely if I must say so myself. I was impressed with the thickness and felt it had good flavor. Update: I spoke to my husband and told him I made this soup and his response was "yucccckkkkkkk!". Good thing I made it while he's traveling!

Butternut Squash Soup
adapted from Cooking Light September 2009
1 tablespoon butter

3 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/8 teaspoon salt
cinnamon & nutmeg, to taste

(note: I did not measure out my ingredients- I had more than 1 1/2 pounds of butternut squash so I added a bit more of each ingredient)

1. Melt butter in large saucepan on medium-high heat.
2. Add squash, carrot, onion & apple and cook for about 12-15 minutes.
dsc01811

3. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add the half-and-half and salt.
5. If you have an immersion blender, combine the ingredients in the saucepan until smooth. If not, use a food processor and blend until smooth.
6. After blended, sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg to taste & mix to combine.

Next time, I may sprinkle toasted walnuts or pecans for some added excitement.
dsc01821

No comments:

Post a Comment