Needless to say, I was curious to see if he'd like homemade treats.... and he does!!!! He gobbled them down. Seriously gobbled. So this is a keeper. I brought them next door to Simon's girlfriend, Alli, and she enjoyed them as well.
Pumpkin Pie Biscuits
Beantown Tails November 2009 (http://www.tailsinc.com/)
Yields 30 biscuits
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup natural unsalted peanut butter (I ran out of my Teddy PB so I used Skippy)
1/4 cup filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Measure the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger into a mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the flour and add the canola oil. Mix on medium speed using a paddle attachment until crumbly. Add the pumpkin and peanut butter, and stir until combined.
- Add the water all at once and mix until dough forms and all the ingredients are combined.
Turn the dough out onto a slightly floured surface and gently knead until dough is smooth and soft.I used the Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough attachment and kneaded it for about 5 minutes until smooth and soft. Roll the dough 1/4-inch thick and cut the biscuits into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes until they are dry and firm to the touch. Turn the oven off and leave the biscuits in another 20-30 minutes. Remove them from the oven, cool them on a baking rack, and store them in a cookie tin.
Horrible picture but you can see the happiness in his face and his tongue lick saying "yummy!"!!
And just for laughs- two pics of the zoo enjoying the canned pumpkin!