Monday, April 26, 2010

A Tribute

Is there a food or recipe that every time you make, it triggers memories of a particular person? One particular meal triggers some of the happiest memories for me and yet, it's one of the simplest meals to prepare.

I had the privilege of spending every summer of my life surrounded by some of the most special people in my life. My community of neighbors at our house on a beautiful lake in Maine are like family. Their friends and family, by extension are an extension of my family.

Every summer, our neighbors hosted a couple. This couple would in return host an annual breakfast for the kids in the neighborhood. We looked forward with anticipation to Aunt Evelyn's and Uncle Sam's visits. Uncle Sam would make us Black-Eyed Susan's for breakfast (otherwise known as eggs-in-a-basket). Uncle Sam carried on this tradition following his wife's passing until he was no longer able to make his annual trip to the lake. He was a kind and generous man who was full of love and shared it with the community.

Yesterday was Danimal's birthday and he requested eggs and bacon for breakfast, specifically, Black-Eyed Susan. As I was preparing them, I thought back to my summers with Uncle Sam-- and remembered his warmth and love. I thought about how much we loved our special breakfasts with him as I ate my own egg-in-a-basket.

This afternoon, I received an email letting me know that Uncle Sam passed away peacefully last night. I could not get over the fact that I spent most of the day thinking about him yesterday. I am so blessed that I had the opportunity to know him, learn from him and be a part of his world. I am also so thankful that my husband requested that particular style of eggs yesterday.

We will miss you Uncle Sam. I will make sure this tradition is carried on to the next generation.


DSC03369

Black-Eyed Susan's
1 slice of bread
1 egg

Use a glass to cut a hole out of the middle of the bread. Place bread in preheated, greased frying pan. Crack egg and drop in to the hole in the bread. Flip the bread after a minute or two, depending on desired consistency. Cook other side for a minute or so. Fry the cutout piece of bread along with the egg/bread combination and use it to mop up the yolk.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment