Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kugel for Passover

During Passover, I was craving dessert and decided I needed kugel. I googled a few recipes and grabbed some ingredients on my way home from work. I have a serious problem of not reading the recipe all the way through before starting. I peeled the apples, soaked the matzoh and then grabbed the carton of eggs from the fridge. My jaw dropped on the floor when I saw it had 8 eggs. Anyway, I played with this recipe a bit and I was pretty happy with the end result. It tasted pretty similar to the noodle kugel my family makes-- no where as creamy though.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and it was a nice change from the kugel that I know and love. I'll have to blog about that one sometime soon!

Apple-Matzoh Kugel
adapted from Epicurious: Abigail Kirsch

4 large apples, Granny Smith or any tart apple, cored and cut into medium diced
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
6 plain matzohs (I used egg matzohs)
8 eggs (5 egg whites, 3 whole eggs)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar 1/2 cup sugar (I cut the sugar down significantly)
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter or margarine, melted 6 tbsp butter, melted (probably could use less or eliminate)
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup dried apricots, medium, chopped
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces, for casserole topping (I used less)
cinnamon & sugar mixture
chopped nuts (walnuts possibly)- I didn't add any but I definitely think it would be a great addition


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Toss the apples with the brown sugar and orange juice, set aside in a medium bowl.

3. Break the matzoh into 2- to 3-inch pieces and soak in 1 cup of warm water until soft but not mushy. Set aside.

4. While the matzoh soaks, beat the eggs with a wire whisk in a large bowl until blended. Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.

5. Squeeze the liquid from the softened matzoh and add the matzoh to the egg mixture with the apples. Stir the kugel well and pour into a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 10x14-inch pan (I used a 9x13 pan). Sprinkle cinnamon & sugar mixture evenly on top of the mixture. Dot the top of the kugel with the 4 tablespoons of butter.

6. Bake the kugel for 1 hour. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to become too brown early in the baking. Remove the kugel from the oven and cool to room temperature.

DSC03117

No comments:

Post a Comment