Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My First Attempt at Sugar Cookies

Since I discovered the food blog world, I've noticed amazingly decorated sugar cookies everywhere. If given the option, I tend to chose a chocolate chip cookie at a dessert table so I never really admired sugar cookies. I've been taking the Wilton Cake Decorating class Course 2 and working with royal icing. I had a bunch of it left over a few weeks ago so I decided to practice cookie decorating as well. I read several different sugar cookie recipes including a comparison post on 4 different recipes. In the end, I settled on Bake at 350's recipe because her cookies look amazing and there were only minor differences between a few recipes.

For my first attempt, I think they turned out ok! I am excited to try some more shapes and more intricate designs. The cookie recipe was pretty delicious as well!

Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies
bake at 350

3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
2 sticks butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.

Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.


Royal Icing
Wilton

3 tbsp Meringue Powder
1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted
5-6 tbsp water

Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer).


Watch this video for great instruction on how royal icing is supposed to look.

This video gives a great demonstration on how to thin royal icing for flooding.

Watch this video for a tutorial on basic outlining and flooding for sugar cookies. I can't explain it any better!

DSC03602

Taking pictures with a curious kitten is quite challenging... he usually wants to grab the food and run off. Thankfully, sugar cookies aren't really his thing.
DSC03612

1 comment: