Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blooming Herb Bread

I think I keep saying this but as soon as I saw this recipe, I wanted to make it. Seriously though, it looks so pretty (at least when Paster Ryan made it on Pioneer Woman's blog) and it's pretty easy. Next time I will plan a little bit ahead of time so I can let it rise to it's full potential! Danimal could not stop grabbing pieces off of it while the rest of our meal was cooking. I think it's a keeper in our zoo!


Blooming Herb Bread
Pioneer Woman/ Paster Ryan

Ingredients
20 ounces, weight Bread Flour (all Purpose Is Okay, Too) - About 4 Cups
8 ounces, fluid Water
4 ounces, fluid Melted Butter
Chopped Herbs Of Choice (I used fresh Rosemary & chopped garlic)
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Active Or Instant Yeast (if Active, It Would Be Best To Sprinkle Yeast Over The Water To Let It Start To Work Before Mixing It In)


Preparation Instructions

Combine all ingredients together in the KitchenAid stand mixer with the dough hook. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can combine ingredients and knead by hand. It's easier in the mixer though!

Mix for about 10 minutes or so until you can successfully achieve a windowpane with the dough (when you can pull off a small chunk of the dough you’re kneading and stretch it gently to see if it is somewhat translucent. If you can do this without it tearing, it’s ready).

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

After the dough starts rising, it should be kneaded for a minute or two so that the yeast can redistribute. Form it into a dome and place in a covered cast iron pan after coating it with olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt. Cut a large ‘X’ into the surface of the bread dough so it can bloom!

Bake on the center rack of your over for 30 minutes with the lid on, them remove the lid to finish it off for another 15 to 30 minutes.


After I placed the dough in the bowl, I squirted some fresh lemon juice on top of it... It gave it a little kick. I also didn't let the dough rise as much as I should have.... but we were hungry!

dsc02681

3 comments: