The last thing I included in my bag o'cookies for the neighbors was a handful of oreo truffles. For those who have not had these, you should definitely make them at some point! These are kind of like no-bake dessert-- the most time consuming part is dipping them in chocolate. Oreo truffles have been blogged about over and over. For fun ideas, check out http://www.bakerella.com/! I've also made cake balls from bakerella's blog as well and those were equally delicious! Seriously, if you haven't yet, check this woman out!
Bakerella (adapted from Kraft recipe)
1 package oreo cookies (divided… use cookie including the cream center)
1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
chocolate bark/ baking chocolate/ chocolate melts
1. Finely crush 7 cookies in a food processor or place them in a ziploc bag and crush into a fine consistency. Reserve for later.
2. Crush remaining cookies and stir in softened cream cheese. Use the back of a large spoon to help mash the two together.
3. Roll the mixture into 1″ balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
4. Melt chocolate as directed on the package and then dip balls into chocolate, tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. You can sprinkle the tops with the 7 crushed cookies for decoration. (I usually eat mine before they make it to this stage.) I dipped mine in white chocolate and then drizzed red chocolate over them (add a few drops of canola oil to thin the chocolate out to drizzle). I also rolled a few in crushed oreo instead of dipping them in chocolate.
5. Once dry, refrigerate and enjoy!
Makes about 36 truffles.