Friday, May 7, 2010

Verde is Green

I love calzones and I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while. I really wanted to make my own dough but I'm horrible at planning ahead. I ended up using the canned dough and I'd rather not ever use that again. Blech. I have never used that and I don't think I ever will again. Next time, real fresh pizza dough.

This whole dinner was an experience.... shopping for the ingredients was ridiculously comical. I was pretty sure I knew what salsa verde was (at least at a restaurant). I wasn't sure how it was packaged. I searched all the aisles I thought it would be located in and wasn't having any luck. I finally asked an employee if he knew where "salsa verde" is located... his answer "well, verde is green"... Yes, I'm aware. He drags me over to the salsa... no luck and looks in all the same places. Then he asks someone else where salsa verde is and their answer "verde means green"... I got no where. I finally found it (in the salsa aisle)-- the one option they carried wasn't very well labeled.

Anyway, so I get home and working with that canned pizza dough was an absolute nightmare. I never understand how you unroll the dough from the can-- it turns into mush for me. All in all, the meal was pretty tasty. We both enjoyed it and the black bean salad paired great with it, especially with the addition of avocados.


Tex-Mex Calzones
Cooking Light

 8 ounces ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fat-free fire-roasted salsa verde
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded Mexican blend cheese
Cooking spray parchment paper
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream


1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Remove turkey mixture from heat; stir in salsa.

3. Unroll dough; divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6 x 4–inch rectangle. Working with one rectangle at a time, spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture on one side of dough. Top with 3 tablespoons cheese; fold dough over turkey mixture, and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and turkey mixture. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.
 
 
Black Bean Salad
1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained black beans
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 avocado, diced

Combine all ingreients in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.

DSC03318

No comments:

Post a Comment